1. Match the phrases (1-7) with their meanings (a-g).
1 People who go abroad on business are lucky.
2 Buses and trains where I live normally arrive on time.
3 There are lots of houses for sale on my street.
4 I once met an old friend by chance when I was abroad.
5 You should book a hotel in advance if you visit my city.
6 I sometimes broke things on purpose when I was a child.
7 You can always tell if two people are in love.
a available to buy
b having strong romantic feelings
c not by chance, because it was planned
d at the expected time
e without planning it
f working, but in a different place
g before something happens
1 f 2 d 3 a 4 e 5 g 6 c 7 b
2. We sometimes use a preposition without an article before a place name. This means ‘in a particular place for the usual reason’.
He’s at home. NOT He’s at the home.
Match the sentences (1-4) with the pictures (a-d).
1 Mara’s in hospital. She’s got a broken leg.
2 My brother’s at university. He studies Physics.
3 My daughter’s not in school today. She’s on a class trip.
4 The police found the stolen painting in his house. Now he’s in prison.
1 b 2 c 3 d 4 a
3. Underline the preposition + noun combinations in sentences 1-4 in 2. Write a sentence about somebody you know (of) who is in each place.
1 in hospital 2 at university
3 in school 4 in prison
4. Match 1–6 with a–f to make sentences.
1 ..f.. Their plane didn’t leave on
2 …… My parents are still in
3 …… I didn’t break your glasses on
4 …… All of the bank robbers are now in
5 …… There are lots of tablets for
6 …… Next time you come to London, tell me in
a love with each other after 30 years of marriage.
b sale on eBay. I might get one.
c advance so I can book some theatre tickets.
d prison, apart from the one who escaped.
e purpose. I sat on them by mistake.
f time. It was 30 minutes late.
2 a 3 e 4 d 5 b 6 c
- WORDPOWER: age – English Grammar Exercises for A2
- WORDPOWER: Multi-word verbs with on – English Grammar Exercises for A2
- WORDPOWER: Multi-word verbs with put – English Grammar Exercises for A2
- WORDPOWER: by – English Grammar Exercises for A2
- WORDPOWER: change – English Grammar Exercises for A2
- WORDPOWER: verb + to – English Grammar Exercises for A2