1. Look at the sentences. Which word (job or work) is countable? Which is uncountable?
1 I’ve got a really interesting job.
2 I’m looking for work at the moment.
1 countable 2 uncountable
2. Match the uses of work and job (1-4) with the meanings (a-d).
1 …… 90% of gardeners feel their work is important and useful.
2 …… We spend most of our time at work.
3 …… I’ve got a lot of jobs to do at home this weekend.
4 …… I enjoy my course, but it’s hard work.
a when you use lots of energy to do something
b the activity or activities you do for your job
c activities you have to do, often without getting money
d the place where you work
1 b 2 d 3 c 4 a
3. Match sentences (1-3) with replies (a-c).
1 …… Why isn’t my email working on this computer?
2 …… Is the medicine from the doctor working?
3 …… I can’t work this out. Do you know the answer?
a No, it’s a very difficult question.
b I don’t know. Maybe there’s a problem with the Internet.
c Definitely. I feel much better.
1 b 2 c 3 a
4. Complete the sentences with work or job.
1 I’m painting my apartment at the moment. It’s a lot of hard ………… .
2 I’m starting a new ………… soon.
3 My mobile doesn’t ………… when I’m inside this building.
4 I’ve got an important ………… to do at home this weekend.
5 I leave ………… early on Fridays.
6 The education system in my country doesn’t ………… well.
7 I know a lot of people who are trying to find ………… .
8 I can’t ………… out how to download this application form.
1 work 2 job 3 work 4 job
5 work 6 work 7 work 8 work
5. Complete these sentences with your own ideas.
1 I can’t work out …
2 I would like to get a job …
3 Two jobs I need to do this week are …
4 … makes me happy at work.
5 I need do some hard work …
6 … doesn’t work very well.
Students’ own answers.
6. Underline the correct words to complete the sentences.
1 My GPS doesn’t work / job very well when I drive through the mountains.
2 I’ve found a really good job / work in the local newspaper.
3 No, I can’t go to the cinema. I’ve got to stay late at job / work.
4 My headache’s a bit better, so I think that aspirin’s beginning to work / job.
5 What time do you start job / work in the mornings?
6 He’s got to work / job all weekend on that report.
7 I’m studying for my final exams – it’s really hard job / work.
8 My dad’s got a lot of small jobs / works to do in the garden.
9 My dad can’t work / job out how to use the camera on his new phone.
2 job 3 work 4 work 5 work 6 work 7 work 8 jobs 9 work
- WORDPOWER: age – English Grammar Exercises for A2
- WORDPOWER: preposition + noun – English Grammar Exercises for A2
- WORDPOWER: Multi-word verbs with on – English Grammar Exercises for A2
- WORDPOWER: Multi-word verbs with put – English Grammar Exercises for A2
- WORDPOWER: by – English Grammar Exercises for A2
- WORDPOWER: change – English Grammar Exercises for A2